St. Vincent de Paul founded the Ladies of Charity in France on August 20, 1617. The Ladies of Charity of Austin was organized in 1880 under the name of the St. Vincent’s Aides. Their many activities over the years include:
- The Ladies were instrumental in getting the Daughters of Charity to come to Austin to develop Seton Infirmary, as the hospital was first called in 1902.
- Marywood, originally The Home of the Holy Infancy, was founded by the Ladies of Charity of Austin in 1921.
- The Ladies of Charity of Austin have been in continuous operation since their founding in 1880, participating in such charities as operating a soup kitchen on East 6th Street during the depression, operating a thrift store from 1952 – 2016, and assisting in the organization of the Christmas Bureau in 1964.